Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Canadian Museum of Rail Travel

Blaine and I went to the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel this afternoon. Bliane was doing a story for work and I wanted to see the museum so I went with him. We went on a deluxe tour off all the rail cars. They are displayed to illustrate the glory days of North American rail travel. They call them 'hotels on wheels'. The museum opened in 1978 and they have been gathering pieces and restoring the interior of the rail cars since 1976. They are not finished the restoration. There is still a lot to be done. It takes so long because they are so careful to make it look exactly as it did.

There were 3 separate trains on separate tracks and each train had numerous rail cars. There was the Trans Canada Limited from 1929 - River Rouge, the Soo - Spokane Deluxe from 1907 - Curzon, and the Business Car from 1928 - B.C. Here are a bunch of pictures from the tour. It was amazing to see.



They have done extensive restoration on these trains. It's unbelievable!

Blaine shooting for his story.

















This was in the caboose on one of the trains. This is where the crews quarters were.
This is like a little theatre.


Royal Alexandra Hall. Just beautiful! This is actually available to rent. It is all restored.











This was beautiful. The stained glass was so pretty and the car was so elegant looking.












4 comments:

Shirley said...

Very beautiful and very elegant. Love Mom xoxoxoxoxoxox

Virginia said...

Yeah it's very beautiful, and amazing to see how much work they do to restore them. When you see what the train cars look like when they first get them, it is unbelievable that they can restore them to look so beautiful!

Charlene said...

Looking at these and how cool they look reminded me that when we took our train ride, I totally thought that the train would be like this from all the movies I had seen with trains. I was a little disappointed when they didn't even have a lunch car! Oh well. Speaking of trains, Joshua gets to go on a train trip to Kitwanga next week with his class. How cool hey?!

Virginia said...

Yeah, it would be nice if they made trains really fancy like they used to!! That's cool about Joshua... I hope he enjoys it. I'm sure he will!!

Virginia's Birthday

Blaine's Birthday

Christmas

Virginia and Blaine's Wedding Anniversary